Microgrids are all about power system reliability and getting the most out of on-site generation. A microgrid contains all the components of the “macro-grid” – generation, distribution lines, load balancing, protection, economic dispatch – encapsulated in a smaller area. This concentration of assets and grid management makes it possible to automate most of the day-to-day operations and control, even in very complex systems.
Careful design and comprehensive testing are crucial to a successful microgrid implementation. P&D assist clients with microgrids used for solar installations, conventional power plants, transmission and distribution utilities, large campuses, and data centers (which are essentially a microgrid in a building). Services include:
- Design of interconnection and protection for conventional and solar plants
- Factory witness testing and evaluation of microgrid controllers
- Commissioning of data center power resiliency schemes
- Generator interconnection commissioning and vendor oversight
- Serving as the owner’s engineer offering design recommendations, conducting witness testing, interconnection agreement evaluation
Contact us for more information.